MIAMI, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) — The UCF women’s soccer team gritted out a 1-0 victory over FIU on Friday night.
The Knights (2-1-0) struggled to get into much of a rhythm for the full 90 minutes, holding a slim edge in the shots margin, 5-4, while giving up six corners to the their one. But they were able to come through when it mattered as senior Ashley Spivey netted her second game-winning goal of the season.
UCF head coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak said the young team lacked some composure but was proud of her players’ ability to pick up their first road win of the year and their second straight shutout.
“I’m glad we got a result while having growing pains today,” she said. “It’s a great team and they have great team unity and they are going to learn and grow from this game quickly.”
• Ashley Spivey netted the game-winner for the second-consecutive match, this time in the 54th minute.
• Sophomore Kayla Adamek found Spivey on the left side, and the senior midfielder winded up for a perfectly placed dagger to the upper right corner of the net.
• Although Spivey now has six career game-winners as a Knight, Friday marks the first time she tallied a pair in back-to-back games.
• As long as tropical storm Erika doesn’t wash out Sunday, the Knights will head over to Miami for a 1 p.m. match on ESPN3.
• The Knights are set to visit the Hurricanes for the first time since 2006 and are looking for their first road win against the Canes since 2004.
• UCF holds a current five-match unbeaten streak (3-0-2) over Miami since 2007.